Referendum: Access to Mental Health Services
Campaign Platforms and Posters
Town hall meeting for the discussion of Yes & No campaigns
Time: 12:00 pm
Date: March 31, 2017
VOTE CALLED FOR APRIL 1, 10 am- ENDING ON APRIL 3, 6 pm
The GSA is asking you to vote on the following two (2) questions regarding access to mental health services for graduate students starting in September 2017. The vote will determine if graduate students opt for access to mental health services at McMasters Student Wellness Centre (SWC), and\or through the Student Assistance Plan (SAP) provided by the Graduate Students Association (GSA) Health and Dental provider.
Do you want to pay an additional $23.86* per term ($71.58 per annum  (part-time students will pay an additional $11.93 per term ($35.79 per annum)) to access in-person mental health services at the McMaster University Student Wellness Centre?
[Yes or No]
Do you want to pay an additional fee of up to $10 per annum  for a Student Assistance Plan provided through the GSA Health and Dental provider, which provides remote (phone call, online) mental health services?
[Yes or No]
The services accessible at the McMaster University Student Wellness Centre (SWC) are:
- Access to Psychologist, Counsellors, Mental Health Nurses and wellness education experts in person (along with OHIP billed Psychiatrist and Physicians)
- Offering a broad range of services including mental health, academic issue and personal issue counselling.
- Offering in person workshops on a magnitude of issues
- Offering Graduate-only group counselling sessions 
The services accessible from the Student Assistance Plan are:
- Access to Clinical Counsellors and Registered Social Workers
- Counselling service available 24-hour/7 day-a-week by phone and or online
- Offering a broad range of Mental Health Services within the scope of Clinical Counsellors and Registered Social Workers
- Offering several types of self-evaluation tools available anytime online and relevant time-sensitive content (i.e. tip sheets, messages on stress management) available anytime online
*Further information regarding the referendum questions will be available on the GSA Website shortly.
 Currently, graduate students pay $10.09 per term ($30.27$ per annum) to the SWC fees. Currently, graduate students have coverage for $100 per appointment up to a maximum of $400 per annum for counselling services through the Health Plan. Graduate students pay a total fee of $186 per annum for the GSA Health Plan
 Sessions will be available if the minimum number of students required is reached to warrant pulling a counsellor from their one-on-one work.
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017
Location: LR Wilson Hall 1020
Any other additional information on mental health services accessible at the Student Wellness Centre, click on the following link.
- GSA Mental Health Services Referendum – April 2017
- GSA Mental Health Services Survey – September 2016
- Student Assistant Program
- Referenda Specific Rules